95-97 Maude St, Shepparton

VIC 3630, Australia

Pay Now

Diocese of Wangaratta

Regular Church Services

The Parish is centred  on Shepparton in the Goulburn Valley, 180km north of Melbourne. The City of  Greater Shepparton has a population of approximately 64,000, of which about  3.4% are of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage. The original  inhabitants of the area were the Yorta Yorta people.

      We are a  multicultural community with significant populations from Europe, India, the  middle east and, more recently, refugee populations from Africa. There are many  different Christian denominations, as well as significant Muslim and Sikh faith  communities. Shepparton abuts  Mooroopna (part of the Bendigo Diocese) which has a more evangelical Anglican  community.

      The major employment  industries in Shepparton are health care and social assistance, closely  followed by retail and manufacturing, then agriculture, forestry and fishing  and education and training. It is a rich fruit-growing and dairying area with  the Goulburn River and much natural bushland on the western boundary of the  city. There are many primary and secondary schools, a TAFE and campuses of  LaTrobe University and the University of Melbourne.

      There are many  sporting venues including facilities for swimming set next to the beautiful  Victoria Park Lake. Sporting and cultural events attract large numbers of  visitors eg the Easter tennis tournament and the Australian Piano Awards.

      The area has a  Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers, cool dry winters and a wet spring  (usually!).

The parish church of  St Augustine (of Canterbury) in its current site was designed by Louis Williams  and opened and dedicated on 4th April 1927. It has a later addition (1986) of a narthex,  vestries, offices, small kitchen, choir loft and two side vaults with baptismal font and children’s  space.

  St Augustine’s also  has a rectory (built 1953),  updated in 2016.  Within  the grounds of St. Augustine’s is a Memorial Wall and Garden for the interment  of ashes,  as well as two  tennis courts and four units owned by the Parish. St Augustine’s hall  (dedicated 1967) is rented out for community activities and is an asset for  whole-of-parish functions  or Diocesan functions.

  St  Augustine’s church, hall and rectory are heritage-listed and the gardens  received a Greater Shepparton City Council Cultural Heritage Award for a well  maintained heritage property in 2013.

      Amongst the many  beautiful and significant adornments to the Church and grounds are the modern tapestries  created by a current parishioner and the internal and external Stations of the  Cross.

Anglican Parish of Shepparton

We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which our churches stand